ABC News : Just In

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Andrew's world

Been having some fun getting the Chrysler improved. A typical bloke with a tool kit in the garage, and always looking for ways to play with the car.
Good news is I finally changed the automatic transmission fluid last weekend. Came out a bit brown (should be red) but not smelly, and no sign of broken bits in the fluid or filter.
Put a new filter in, cleaned everything & resealed the pan back on with the original gasket (so I didn't need to use RTV). Filled up with 4 litres of new ATF4. The car is running very smoothly, no leaks, and I plan to do this little exercise again every 50,000km.
My main concern was that the transmission actually holds about 9 litres of fluid - mostly in the torque converter & some in the cooler, and I thought about pumping that out too, but the procedure seemed a bit risky & complex. (You have to disconnect a hose from the cooler & then run the engine - which pumps the old fluid out of the system - while at the same time pouring fresh fluid into the trans filler tube.) I decided to just drain the pan, and am pretty happy with this, as the trans was so clean, and I figure doing it again in another 50 will improve it even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment