ABC News : Just In

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

RSS & newsreaders

Well I think I like these things that "feed" me information all the time.
I have always liked getting email alerts from my favourite car forum website, and to me, these news feeds are a similar kind of thing. Although they are more general in nature, and a bigger variety of news comes through.
But the end result is pretty much the same: I get alerted about things that I have chosen to be alerted about.
For example, the email SMH news alerts that I get in the AM & PM are convenient ways of keeping up to date with the big news stories each day.
But I also think having too many feeds can be a bit distracting while trying to work. So I guess the key is to be selective in what one chooses to subscribe too.

2 comments:

  1. PS I also think there are uses for this in our library service. The key to success I think, would be reserving it's use for the more significant news stories, rather than every little thing? But I could be wrong here...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plus you can always just delete all the new feeds from time to time to clear things out. Even a quick scan of the feeds (before deleting) can be useful.

    Ellen

    ReplyDelete